- 1 The Couple
- 2 Their Relationship
- 2.1 Part I
- 2.2 Part II
- 2.3 Blank Period Arc:
- 2.4 Epilogue
- 2.5 New Era
- 3 Evidence
- 4 Unofficial Evidence
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Databooks
- 7 Among the Fans
- 8 Trivia
- 9 External Links
- 10 References
Chūnin Exams Arc
When the finalists gather the next day, Shikamaru is informed that his match with Dosu has been cancelled and that he'll instead be fighting Temari of Sunagakure in his first match. When it's time for his fight, he contemplates forfeiting, but Naruto wrongly assumes he's eager to get started and shoves him into the arena.
Temari attacks him when he's slow to get up, but he dodges at the last moment, deciding he doesn't want to lose to a girl. Shikamaru retreats to the cover of some nearby trees and uses the threat of his shadow to force Temari to keep her distance. While she ascertains his shadow's maximum reach, Shikamaru formulates a strategy, doing so quickly enough to be ready when Temari attacks from afar with her Giant Folding Fan. He takes shelter behind the trees and strikes out with his shadow again, extending farther towards her than before, the setting sun lengthening his shadow's range.
Temari dodges this and his other attempts to let his shadow reach farther, forcing her to repeatedly move away from him to avoid it. She attempts to finish the fight quickly, expecting things will only become easier for Shikamaru as the fight goes on, when she finds herself already caught: Shikamaru has been maneuvering her towards a hole in the ground created during Naruto's earlier match, which allowed him to catch her with his shadow from underground, capturing her from behind.
Shikamaru approaches Temari, apparently to deliver a finishing blow. He forfeits instead, claiming that, even if he won this match, he's spent too much chakra to be able to safely fight in later matches. The observing older ninja are impressed by the wisdom of this decision, but Naruto is upset and enters the arena to accuse Shikamaru of stupidity.
Sasuke Recovery Mission Arc
Tayuya is stopped from killing Shikamaru by the arrival of Temari, Suna's assistance having been requested by the Fifth Hokage, Tsunade. Temari quickly destroys Tayuya's flute, forcing her to retreat into the forest. Temari asks Shikamaru for information on Tayuya, although, after explaining Tayuya's abilities, Shikamaru starts musing about how they might go about either finding her or drawing her out. Uninterested in Shikamaru's opinion, Temari instead simply destroys the forest by using Summoning: Quick Beheading Dance. Tayuya is crushed beneath the fallen trees and killing her. Shikamaru, though intimidated by Temari's ferocity, is nevertheless thankful to her.
Temari accompanies Shikamaru back to Konoha, his broken finger is healed. While waiting in Konoha's hospital, she criticized Shikamaru for his lack of emotional control. Shikamaru is informed of the dire conditions the rest of his team has been left in. That things went so badly on his first mission causes Shikamaru to believe he's unfit to be a ninja, much less to lead a team. Temari won't comfort him, nor will Shikaku when he comes to check on things. Shikaku reminds Shikamaru that his friends will continue to go on missions with or without him, but that maybe they'll avoid death if Shikamaru leads them then. If this mission went badly, Shikamaru should learn from it and improve so that future missions will be more successful. Temari showed compassion when Shikaku scolded Shikamaru. Tsunade interrupts with news that the team will make full recoveries, that Naruto has been found alive, and that Sasuke escaped. Although this means the mission failed, both Tsunade and Shikamaru are glad that everyone survived, Shikamaru even tearfully vowing to do better next time.
Shikamaru then sees Temari, Kankuro, and Gaara off. Before leaving, Temari tells Shikamaru she will help him again if anything happens and then teases him about crying in front of her in the hospital. She called him "cry baby" while he referred to her as 'troublesome'. Despite their teasing words, both smiled.
Kazekage Rescue Mission Arc
Shikamaru and Temari arrived at the Hokage's office together, as Shikamaru was Temari's escort. Later, as they walked through the village, Naruto asked if they were on a date, which the two denied.
Before Temari returned to Suna, Shikamaru woke up early to see her off, something that surprised Temari, given his usual laziness. As they were leaving, Temari tells Shikamaru he is very talented and should soon achieve the rank of jonin. This caused Shikamaru to become embarrassed and look away.
Fourth Shinobi World War: Confrontation Arc
Shikamaru and Temari were assigned to the same division with Shikamaru as Gaara's proxy commander. Temari would remind Shikamaru to take his job as commander seriously, and also not to let down his father, whom she respected.
Fourth Shinobi World War: Climax Arc
Shikamaru tells everyone to pay attention and be prepared, that even if small their power might be useful at some point and could even change change the future. Upon hearing his message, Temari smiles and thinks to herself that Shikamaru would be a good Hokage.
Birth of the Ten-Tails' Jinchūriki Arc
When stuck in the Infinite Tsuyukomi genjutsu, Shikamaru dreams of both Asuma and his father, Shikaku, being alive. In his dream, Temari is by his side. While watching the other two couples both fighting and in bliss, Shikamaru says that marriage is "too troublesome" while Temari agrees. The original Japanese sentence gives out a different connotation. In the Japanese version of Shikamaru's line, it is implied that Shikamaru is unsure as to whether marriage is too troublesome.
Blank Period Arc:
Shikamaru Hiden: A Cloud Drifting in Silent Darkness
On a Shinobi Union meeting, Shikamaru is asked about the drop in mission requests, but says it's still being investigated. Later, when Shikamaru starts acting strangely, Temari tries getting more information out of him, but when he evades her questions, she slaps him in a fit of anger. Shikamaru informs Kakashi that Temari is growing suspicious of him, and that their independent investigation on the Land of Silence could lead to Shinobi Union intervention due to rogue and missing shinobi potentially undertaking illegal missions there.
Back in the Sand Village, Temari receives permission from Gaara to personally investigate Shikamaru's mission, as she suspects him to be in danger. She soon discovers that Shikamaru is on a dangerous mission to assassinate the leader of the Land of Silence after he captured a number of high-ranking shinobi, including Sai. Temari gathers a team of Chōji Akimichi and Ino Yamanaka to aide Shikamaru in his mission.
Shikamaru returns to Gengo's room, and fights Rō and Hinoko. He has Hinoko attack him with her chakra needles, and positions himself so they hit his ears, impairing his hearing so Gengo's voice can't affect him. Shikamaru almost reaches Gengo, but is stopped by Sai's ink lion. Gengo escapes, and Shikamaru is hit with a chakra needle on his head. Ino and Chōji arrive to save him, though Shikamaru believes he is dreaming. Shikamaru is convinced that he isn't dreaming when Temari slaps him for lying to her in the Shinobi Union meeting. Ino and Chōji prepare to fight Rō and Hinoko. Temari tosses him Asuma's chakra blades, which Shikamaru uses to open up the way to Gengo.
Shikamaru pursues Gengo through the Fushū Castle. Ino, Chōji, and Temari fight Sai, Rō, and Hinoko, Gengo's hold over them weakening as the fight drags on. Gengo lures Shikamaru in a dark room, both so he can't use his shadows and for his hearing to become more sensitive, and more vulnerable to Gengo's jutsu. Gengo tells Shikamaru about his past with Zabuza, and how it shaped his ideology.
Gengo tells Shikamaru he had his followers infiltrate the hidden villages, and with a signal he can make them cause incidents all over. Gengo's jutsu manifests the darkness in Shikamaru, but thinking of Naruto, Shikamaru isn't affected by it, to Gengo's surprise. Shikamaru surmises Gengo's comrades are all dead, having been used by him.
Gengo believes that Temari's appearance strengthened Shikamaru's resolve. Together, along with Ino and Choji, they defeat Gengo and his army. After his arrest and the mission has ended, Shikamaru asks Temari on a date. She repeats his catch phrase, "How troublesome" and accepts. When Shikamaru gets back to Konoha he is given a week off by Kakashi, but he no longer finds the distinction between work and relaxation as troubling as he did before. Kakashi gives him a mission when he returns to work that, while important, can be accomplished by almost anyone. For that reason, Shikamaru turns down the mission, as his date with Temari is the next day.
Sakura Hiden: Thoughts of Love, Riding Upon a Spring Breeze
Ino and Sakura talk about how their friends are beginning to find love. Ino tells Sakura that Shikamaru and Temari are always together and she can tell they are in love. Sakura doesn't find this surprising.
Konoha Hiden: The Perfect Day for a Wedding
Shikamaru decides to get Naruto and Hinata a romantic honeymoon trip for their wedding gift. Shikamaru is happy with his decision but will need a woman's input to help him plan something suitable. While going around Konoha with Chōji, after lunch they keep an eye out for Ino Yamanaka to get her opinion, but they run into Temari instead. Though Temari is indeed a woman, Shikamaru doesn't believe she has the right personality to advise him on this. Chōji nevertheless forces him to ask her anyway, but from the way he poses the question Temari believes he is asking her to help plan their own honeymoon. Temari is embarrassed and Shikamaru, not realizing the confusion, believes he's offended her. Chōji excuses himself for reasons of hunger and Shikamaru tries to do the same, but Temari stops him and agrees to tour the Konoha Hot Springs' district with him.
Evening descends and Shikamaru and Temari walk around in the soft lighting of the hot springs. Temari remains quiet and strange the whole time, so Shikamaru suggests they go to a shop so the trip isn't wasted. Temari points out some target-throwing booths where numerous couples are trying to win prizes. Shikamaru ends up winning two small trinkets in his determination to figure out the booths' scam, which he gives to Temari. Although Shikamaru feels embarrassed by their size, and wishes he could haven gotten something much better for her, Temari says they are perfect. Afterwards he takes her to an inn, hoping she can tell him if Hinata would like it. Temari, who is flustered that Shikamaru is moving so fast with their relationship, suspects he has sexual intentions and declines, believing she won't refuse him if they go inside. Shikamaru puts his hands on her face, worried she's sick because of how red it is, causing her to run away. He chases after her, desperately needing her (opinion). When she stops he assures her how important she is to him, explaining that he, as a man, can't evaluate the inn's services for women.
Temari is confused once again and Shikamaru is confused by her confusion. He repeats that he wants to give Naruto and Hinata a nice honeymoon and, now that he says it, he realizes what Temari thought he meant earlier. Temari is put at ease and Shikamaru smiles from the misunderstanding and they finally understand what the other meant, only for Temari to beat him up.
Gaara, Temari, and Kankurō arrive at Konoha, where they're greeted by Kakashi and Shizune. Kakashi confirms the arrival of other Kage, with the Mizukage still to arrive due to bad weather. Ōnoki asks Kakashi about Naruto's wedding, intending to give him a gift on Iwa's behalf. A also intends to send a gift on Kumo's behalf. Gaara learns of Naruto's wedding. Later, Kankurō asks Temari why they didn't know of that, considering she just visited Konoha. Temari angrily says she forgot, scaring Kankurō. Kankurō suggests something extravagant. Lee and Tenten arrive, on duty to show them around the village. Gaara asks to see places Naruto likes. Temari wants to stay in, and avoiding running into Shikamaru.
Later that evening, Temari runs into Shikamaru, the two apologize for their misunderstanding last time, and go out to eat together. Ino and Chōji spy on their date. The next day, the Three Sand Siblings returned to Suna. Gaara intends to come back for Naruto's wedding, Kankurō is sad he won't see Gaara dance, and they notice Temari is in a much better mood.
Shikamaru and Temari later attended Naruto and Hinata's wedding together as a couple, still flustered at the idea of such an intimate relationship.
Gaara Hiden: A Sandstorm Mirage
Shikamaru and Temari are getting ready for their wedding. Because Temari is a sibling of the Kazekage and Shikamaru is an influential figure in Konoha, their marriage is a delicate, political matter that will solidify peace between their two villages. In the midst of careful consideration, Temari and Shikamaru are trying to find a date for their wedding that will appease both sides.The fact that their children will be raised in Konoha, but will have the Kazekage bloodline and therefore would be in line to be Suna's next Kazekages, is what makes the Suna elders arrange a marriage for Gaara.
An attack occurred when Gaara was attending a marriage meeting with his possible future wife. Temari was attacked by a puppeteer but she managed to defeated and killed the puppeteer by dislocating her own shoulder – one of the only body parts she could still control – which freed her movements enough to ready her giant folding fan. Temari collapsed immediately afterwards, her body starting to experience the after-effects of her dislocated shoulder. She was helped up by a familiar face who she asked to go and help Gaara.
In the last chapter that the familiar face who saved Temari during the attack on Gaara's marriage meeting was Shikamaru.
The Last: Naruto the Movie
In the ending credit, Shikamaru and Temari attends Naruto and Hinata's wedding. Shikamaru and Temari can be seen standing next to each other, facing each other.
The Beast that was Shot by Love!!
As Akamaru and Kiba go for a walk, Akamaru beings to notice how romance has started to develop amongst their friends. He notices; Naruto and Hinata, Shikamaru and Temari, Chōji and Karui, Sai and Ino have all formed romantic relationships following the end of the war.
Years later, Shikamaru and Temari are married and revealed to have a son named Shikadai Nara. As Temari is staying at home accompanying Gaara and Kankuro's visit, Shikamaru is in the Hokage headquarters working with Naruto. When Shikadai comes home, Temari is unsatisfied by Shikadai's informal greeting to Gaara and scolds Shikadai for his unsatisfactory greeting.
Academy Entrance Arc
In the anime, during the early part of Shikadai's first semester in the Academy, he was punished along with some other students for causing a commotion and Temari angrily confronted him in home when he was playing video games. While Shikadai insisted he was unintentionally caught in Boruto Uzumaki's antics, Temari gave him a serious scolding for being involved at all, noting that it was unmanly to not take responsibility. When Shikamaru came home from work and learned about it, despite Temari's attempts to make him scold their son as well, he took the news of Shikadai's school punishment indifferently, viewing it as yet another learning curve for him. Temari was annoyed by this attitude and it only grew when she sensed they were thinking "what a drag", furiously deciding to deprive both men dinner for the night.
Byakuya Gang Arc
When Shikamaru returns to home, he said that he want to eat dinner with his family causing Temari to blush. Shikadai asks his father to teach him a new tactics in the shōgi game, Shikamaru gets carried away, angering Temari when he ignores her call for dinner.
Chūnin Exams Arc
Shikamaru and Temari talks to Shikadai before his fight with Boruto. During the final round of the Chūnin Exams, Temari sat with Sakura and Ino and watched her son face off against Boruto Uzumaki. When Shikadai admitted defeat during the battle, much like his father did when he was younger, Temari laughed.
Boruto: Naruto The Movie Novel
Shikadai used an advanced version of the Shadow Imitation Technique called Shadow Imitation Field Technique when fighting Boruto in the final round of chūnin exams. This technique allows its user to expands their shadow to cover a wide range, thereby reducing the chance of escape. Shikadai managed to catch every single Boruto's shadow clones with this technique. Shikamaru then proudly explained to Naruto that the technique could only exist thanks to Temari who worked with him and Shikadai.
Mitsuki's Disappearance Arc
In the anime, when Mitsuki apparently betrayed Konohagakure by attacking two gate guards and leaving, the village was put on lockdown to handle the matters. Later, Boruto and Sarada left to find their team-mate despite orders. When Temari learned that Shikamaru sent Team 10 to retrieve the two genin before they were branded missing-nin, she confronted her husband about such a decision, not liking the idea of putting their son in such a difficult situation with his best friend. Shikamaru insisted that it would both aid Shikadai in his growth and because Shikadai thinks so much like Shikamaru, their son would probably realize the inconsistencies in the situation and could help figure out the truth, something that Shikamaru would have wanted to do himself if not too busy.
One day, as the elder sister of Fifth Kazekage, Temari was invited to join Gaara at the Wind Daimyō's banquet. While preparing for it, the Nara Clan's chief adviser, Enchū Nara was deeply annoyed that Shikamaru, as head of the Nara Clan, would not be joining. He voiced his disdain at how much the Nara Clan appeared to slipping since the Fourth World Shinobi War and the constant gossip of the Land of Wind that the Nara Clan was not worthy of the unity between the Kazekage Clan ever since Shikamaru married Temari. While Shikadai was offered by Enchū to take up learning politics under the Fire Daimyō, he was deeply tempted to agree and decided to drop out being a ninja for two years, much to Temari's dismay as she tried in vain to make him stop it and was further shocked when Shikamaru agreed to allow it without much complaint. However, in the end, he instead decided to prove the worth the Nara Clan by mastering Wind Release techniques from Temari, which she happily agreed to teach him.
Naruto Shinden: Family Day
When Konohagakure began celebrating a new annual holiday, Family Day, Shikamaru offered to set up a schedule to ensure Naruto would have time with his own family. Later, Shikamaru joined his son for the day, accompanied by Sai, Lee, and their respective sons. When Temari learned that the winner of an eating competition would get unlimited free dumplings from Ankorodō for one year, she forced Shikamaru and Shikadai to compete, wanting the prize for herself. However, they soon overate, leaving them physically sick and unable to continue. Later that night, the Nara men nervously ate dinner under the stern watch of a noticeably angered Temari due to their failure at the competition.
Shikamaru Shinden: A Cloud Dancing in Forlorn Falling Petals
A short while after the recent Chūnin Exams where Momoshiki and other Ōtsutsuki clan members attacked, Shikamaru Nara wakes up in his bedroom still wearing the clothing from the day before and smelling of tobacco. He had fallen asleep the moment he came back from work late at night - he missed his bath, forgot to eat the dinner his wife cooked for him, and has a massive headache from his excessive drinking. As he leaves his room, he bumps into his son, Shikadai Nara, who mentions that his mother, Temari, is in a bad mood. Shikamaru knows it's because of his bad habits, and after lightly teasing his son, he delicately greets his silent wife and heads off to take his bath. When Shikamaru sits down to eat breakfast, he and Temari have a strained conversation; eventually, Temari asks whether he remembers what day it was yesterday. Shikamaru instantly realizes that he had forgotten their wedding anniversary as he was busy preparing the Five Kage Talks as a result of the recent attack during the Chūnin Exams. He apologizes profusely, promises that he will definitely make up for it, and Temari remarks that she hopes those feelings are true, because that day will never come back again. Realizing that he's going to be late for work, Shikamaru apologizes one last time before leaving.
At the Five Kage Summit, the Fourth Tsuchikage, Kurotsuchi demands that Konoha disclose all its confidential information to the other villages, otherwise her village, Iwagakure, will withdraw from the Union; she gives the next Kage Summit as a deadline. After the Summit, Shikamaru meets with Rō and Hinoko, two Anbu who assisted him years earlier on a mission to the Land of Silence. Shikamaru tasks Rō and Hinoko to infiltrate Iwagakure and find out what might be happening in Iwagakure that would cause to make her demand for information. To draw some ninja away from Iwa and thus make Rō and Hinoko's task easier, Shikamaru uses one of his vacation days to visit the previous Tsuchikage, Ōnoki. While playing shogi, Shikamaru asks Ōnoki if he knows something that is going on in Iwagakure. Their game is interrupted by the arrival of Kurotsuchi. She expresses her disappointment that Shikamaru didn't let her know he would be visiting, to which Shikamaru replies he only came to play shogi with Ōnoki. Kurotuschi suggests this hasn't been a good use of Shikamaru's free time, especially in the aftermath of his forgotten wedding anniversary.
As soon as he returns to Konoha, Shikamaru begins going over the paperwork that's accumulated in his absence. Shikamaru is interrupted in his work by Moegi Kazamatsuri, leader of the team that Shikadai is assigned to. Moegi informs Shikamaru that Shikadai was specifically requested for an S-rank mission to protect a daimyō. Shikamaru begins contemplating whether Shikadai is ready for such a mission, but Moegi cuts him off, informing him that Shikadai declined and could not be convinced to change his mind. Neither Shikamaru nor Moegi can figure out why Shikadai refused the mission, so Moegi suggests that Shikamaru speak with him about it. Shikamaru does just that when he gets home, sneaking into Shikadai's room and waking him to ask. Shikadai explains it was "troublesome", which is all Shikamaru can get out of him before being discovered by Temari; she insists Shikadai be allowed to sleep. The next morning, after Shikadai leaves early for a mission, Temari tells Shikamaru what Shikadai's reason was: the client for the S-rank mission - a dignitary from some small country - was trying to use Shikadai in order to get close to Shikamaru. Shikamaru is frustrated that someone would try to exploit Shikadai like that, but before he and Temari can discuss it they notice that Hinoko has returned.
On one evening, Shikamaru visits Ino's shop with the intention of buying flowers for Temari to make up for his forgotten wedding anniversary. Ino seems to have known this from Temari, the two of them are quite close because their sons are on the same team. Ino suggests yellow flowers from Sunagakure, which immediately reminds Shikamaru of Temari. Shikamaru asks Ino to make a bouquet of flowers with all the yellow flowers but in the end shikamaru forgets to take home the flowers.
Shikamaru spends a night off at home, a last chance to relax before things get underway with the Daimyō Summit; he has decided not to tell Temari or Shikadai anything about it. Shikamaru avoids Temari, who he worries is still angry about forgetting their anniversary, and seeks out Shikadai, who himself is hiding so that Temari won't reprimand him for playing video games. Shikamaru watches Shikadai play a roguelike until his character dies. Shikamaru asks if any part of what he just watched was "fun", but understands little of Shikadai's answer.
Shikamaru apologises to Shikadai about the S-rank mission, feeling guilty that Shikadai was inconvenienced because of him. Shikadai doesn't understand why Shikamaru would be sorry. Shikamaru explains how, when he was Shikadai's age, he wanted to relax all the time and would dismiss any sort of responsibility as "a total drag"; he fears Shikadai is now taking after him. Shikamaru explains that it was only when he stopped avoiding responsibility that he started feeling fulfilled as an individual. Although he still regularly calls things as a drag, he no longer does so as a way of complaining or avoiding. Shikadai smiles with new appreciation for the word and asks if Shikamaru can try teaching him shogi again. Shikamaru responds with, "What a drag." Temari apparently overheard the conversation between Shikamaru and Shikadai, she asks Shikamaru if he remembers her answer when he asked her out on a date in the Land of Silence. Temari's answer at that time was "what a drag", Shikamaru's favorite phrase. She says while smiling to him that it is an uninspired but a good phrase.
Before departing for the Continental Summit, Shikamaru informs Temari and Shikadai that he'll be going to the Land of Iron. Shikadai asks what's going on, as he's noticed Konoha is teeming with ninja that have been recalled from missions elsewhere, a sign that Konoha is preparing for battle. Shikamaru tells him not to worry and to instead enjoy some time off with his friends, a sentiment Temari echoes. However, as Shikamaru is about to leave, Temari confides that she's frustrated by his refusal to talk about work at home. She understands he does it to spare her from worry, but she would just assume be told from now on. Shikamaru apologises and starts criticising himself, but Temari cuts him off, telling him he's a wonderful man and that that's enough for her. They part ways, both trying not to show their tears.
Naruto's speech in the Continental Summit is broadcast live throughout Konoha. Temari watches, at home by herself, and she sees Shikamaru's influence in Naruto's words and posturing. She's never been able to decide if Shikamaru regrets not achieving his childhood dream of living without responsibility. Even if he does, the fact that he would set aside his own dreams for the sake of Konoha, Naruto, Shikadai, and herself confirms the goodness of his heart.
After the success of the Continental Summit, the daimyō of the Land of Flowers leaves hundreds of flowers with Naruto as a show of thanks. Needing to get rid of them, Naruto insists that Shikamaru take some home with him after work, forcing an armful upon him. Shikamaru hurries home, embarrassed to be seen carrying so many flowers, and suspects Naruto did this intentionally. Temari is initially confused to see him with so many flowers, but guesses this is to make up for when he forgot their anniversary. She asks about his opinion on living with her and Shikadai, because she always feels that she is the one who has stolen Shikamaru's dream of living a peaceful and lazy life. Shikamaru is initially confused by her question, but he soon realizes the meaning of it and he answers by thanking her for all the things she and Shikadai had done for him. She thanks him, then (only now remembering) reprimands him for not putting away his dirty clothes before he went to the Land of Iron. He apologises and, when changing out of his clothes later, is careful not to repeat the mistake. "Family is such a drag, but it's not too shabby," he concludes.
In Boruto episode 178, Konoha is holding a memorial service for those who died in the Fourth Shinobi World War. In the morning, Shikadai who just woke up went to the kitchen for breakfast and he was surprised to see his father who was still at home and had not left for work. He asked if his father had a day off to which Shikamaru replied that it was a day of remembrance for people who had died in the war. Temari said she already told Shikadai about it the other day and then asked him if he forgot about it.
Later that evening, Temari told Shikadai to go out and look for Shikamaru because he still hadn't returned home.
- While complaining to his father about how much he hated women, Shikaku told Shikamaru that even the roughest woman is tender to the man she loves, leading Shikamaru to think about how his father is always bossed around by his mother.
- Later, after she rescues him from Tayuya, Shikamaru thinks that Temari is scarier than his own mother, indirectly equating his relationship with Temari to Shikaku's relationship with Yoshino.
- In the morning before he left on a mission to retrieve Sasuke, Shikamaru asked his father about the reason he wanted to marry his scary mother. His father's answer is because there were times when his mother smiled gently.
- Later that day, Temari broadly smiled at him after she defeated Tayuya. Shikamaru's expression softened after he saw Temari's smile and the caption next to his panel desribed Temari's smile as "The scary yet beautiful smile".
- Despite her usual tough demeanor, Temari has a tendency to show a softer nature around Shikamaru.
- Temari showed concern for Shikamaru when they were at hospital after he failed his mission.
- Shikamaru and Temari were specifically reintroduced together at the beginning of Naruto Shippūden.
- Naruto thought Shikamaru and Temari were on a date, a scene very similar to another one where Kakashi thought Asuma and Kurenai were on a date.
- Temari thinks highly of Shikamaru's intelligence, to the point she believed he would be a good Hokage.
- Shikamaru was shown dreaming of Temari standing by his side while thinking about marriage in the Infinite Tsukuyomi.
- Shikamaru compared Temari's smile to the dazzlingly blazing desert sun and that it 'cleared up the darkness in his heart'.
- Temari's radiant grin felt like something incredibly precious to Shikamaru.
- Temari asnwered Shikamaru's date invitation by using his favorite phrase, "What a Drag".Years after their marriage, Temari reminds Shikamaru of the time she used Shikamaru's favorite phrase to answer his date invitation. Temari thinks that it is an uninspiring but a good phrase.
- In Sakura Hiden, Inotalks to Sakuraabout Shikamaru and Temari and how couple like they have been these days.
- There's a scene in Konoha Hiden where Temari's face is illuminated by the light given off by the lanterns. Shikamaru unconsciously ended up gazing at her. He felt like he was enveloped in a mysterious feeling, like being in the middle of a dream.
- After resolving their misunderstanding in Konoha Hiden, Shikamaru and Temari smiled at each other. The narrator described that they look like the very picture of an intimate pair of lovers.
- In the epilogue of Konoha Hiden, Shikamaru and Temari can be seen standing side by side. They were talking about something and they keep smiling naturally and spontaneously. The narrator described them as a well-matched couple.
- They were shown standing side by side at Naruto and Hinata's wedding.
- In Gaara Hiden, Temari was rescued by someone after her battle with an enemy. It is revealed in the final chapter that the person who rescued Temari was Shikamaru.
- It is revealed in the final chapter that Shikamaru and Temari are married and have a son named Shikadai Nara.
- Shikamaru gives Temari credit for making advancement to his clan's ability. Temari worked with him and Shikadai to create the technique that Shikadai used in the Chūnin Exams.
- Temari was seen delivering a lunch box to Shikamaru in Boruto anime. It was likely a routine between the two of them.
- Shikamaru and Temari both think the other is perfect and too good for them. Temari thinks that Shikamaru is the kindest man she knew and that he is too good for her, while Shikamaru thinks that Temari is a wife that is too good to be true and a perfect mother.
- Shikamaru always carries a portable ashtray with him, a gift from Temari.
- After Shikamaru and Ino saved Temari from an enemy, Shikamaru and Temari started bickering. Ino saw them and felt as if she didn't fit in there.
- In the omake at the end of Shippūden episode 75, Shikamaru told Asuma that Naruto: Shippūden would now be called Shikamaru: Shippūden. The logo appeared with the title, and two silhouettes appeared facing each other. One of them was Shikamaru and the other was Temari.
- When Temari's childhood friend, Daimaru, confessed his love for Temari, she quickly rejected him. Temari's subordinates, Matsuri and Yukata then revealed that Temari already has someone she liked. They desribed the person Temari liked as an intelligent boy.
- In a non-canon Naruto SD spin off, in Rock Lee's dreaming about Shikamaru and Temari are married recently and having two kids, a boy and girl who look like Shikamaru and Temari. However, a boy was actually an early appearance of their son, Shikadai, before he made a canon debut.
- Lee demands to know Temari's relationship with Shikamaru, saying that they are together too much for something not to be happening between them.
- There is a chapter about a love scroll that can make someone who reads the scroll fall in love with whoever is in front of them. Shikamaru, who was with Temari, was affected by the scroll and he became romantic towards her, spelling out the word love with his shadow and even holding her hand.
- In an extra chapter of Naruto SD, Temari who was visiting Konoha was interviewed by Lee. Lee asked her if she went to Konoha to meet Shikamaru which Temari denied.
Shikamaru's first impression of Temari - Chapter 106:
- "Sheesh...this chick really wants to fight."
Shikamaru to Temari before their match - Chapter 106:
- "It really doesn't matter to me if I ever become a chūnin or not, but I guess I shouldn't let myself get beaten by a female, so let's do it."
Temari's first impression of Temari - Chapter 107:
- "What's with the stupid expression on his face...? Is he mocking me?!"
Shikamaru about Temari - Chapter 213:
- "She can attack and defend in one move...damn, that's a good jutsu unlike my own."
Shikamaru about Temari - Chapter 214:
- "Subtle as a rhino...and scarier than my mom...but well, I guess this time I gotta be grateful."
Temari to Shikamaru - Chapter 235:
- "Sacrifice is an inevitable part of missions… Didn't you receive emotion training?"
Temari to Shikamaru - Chapter 235:
- "Unexpected fragility… men are strange…"
Temari to Shikamaru - Chapter 238:
- "If anything happens again, we'll help out...is that okay, crybaby?"
Naruto to Shikamaru and Temari - Chapter 247:
- "So, are you on a date too?"
Temari to Shikamaru - Chapter 515:
- "Gaara is our squad leader, but he's also commander general. You may just be acting leader, but you're the one in charge here. No slacking!"
Temari about Shikamaru - Chapter 641:
- "Shikamaru.. You would make a great Hokage. The ability to sway people's hearts is practically a requisite of any kage..."
Shikamaru to Temari - Chapter 678:
- "Something like marriage...it's so troublesome. Wonder if I should just pass on it?"
Temari to Shikamaru - Shikamaru Hiden Chapter 14:
- “Changing to be the way others tell you to be, that isn’t like you, is it?! You’re the man that I marked out from all the rest! Get a hold of yourself, you idiot! That guy’s troublesome lecture should be nothing more than hot air to you! Am I wrong? Say something! Shikamaru!”
Temari to Shikamaru - Shikamaru Hiden Chapter 14:
- "I couldn't let you die, after all"
Shikamaru about Temari's smile - Shikamaru Hiden Chapter 14:
- "Like the dazzlingly blazing desert sun, Temari's smile cleared up the darkness in Shikamaru's heart."
Shikamaru to Temari - Shikamaru Hiden Chapter 18:
- "Next time, how about eating a meal together?"
Temari to Shikamaru, answering his date invitation - Naruto Shippuden Episode 493:
- "Be prepared. A date with me can be quite a drag."
Temari to Shikamaru, after shikamaru said that he probably won't be able to call things as troublesome anymore - Shikamaru Hiden Chapter 19
- “You can say it a little. If it ever looks like you’re getting so bad that you’ll stop functioning, then I’ll intervene and send you flying back to your senses again. So, it’s okay.”
Ino to Sakura about Shikamaru and Temari - Sakura Hiden Chapter 1:
- "That may be true but, how do you say, there was a couple-like atmosphere. They weren't linking their arms but, the facial expressions, and a sort of floaty mood, you know what I mean? When I saw them, the two of them were just like that. If it was like usual I could have called out to them, but at that moment I hesitated and in the end I couldn't call out to them."
Temari to Shikamaru about his favorite phrase, "What a drag" - Shikamaru Shinden Chapter 13:
- "An uninspired phrase, but I thinks it's a good one."
Temari to Shikamaru - Shikamaru Shinden Chapter 16:
- “Never forget that no matter what happens to you, you've got two comrades who would never betray you."
- "You’re doing plenty. There's no need for me to hit you now. You're a wonderful man."
Shikamaru about Temari - Shikamaru Shinden Chapter 16:
- "She was too good of a wife for him and a perfect mother."
Shikamaru to Temari - Shikamaru Shinden Chapter 22:
- “Thank you for everything.”
Databook 2 (Shikamaru's Profile):
- "Temari's accurate and cutting comment pierces Shikamaru."
Databook 4 (Temari's Profile):
- "This talented woman who can’t be close to everyone, in the midst of fierce fighting she sees in Shikamaru a disposition worthy of the next era’s foundation, and decides to make a new ninja world together with him."
Among the Fans
ShikaTema is one of the most popular couples in the fandom. It always places very high in fan polls. It is generally regarded as the least polarizing and most commonly accepted/well beloved pairing in the series. It is supported because of the chemistry between the characters as well as the many hints throughout the series and even unofficial material such as the video games and omake. It is the most popular pairing for both Shikamaru and Temari. The pairing trended on popular Japanese art site pixiv during the release of Shikamaru hiden, the only Naruto pairing to ever do so outside of Sasusaku and Naruhina. It is a companion couple of SaiIno and It is a rival couple to ShikaNaru and ShikaIno.
- Temari's birthday (August 23) is the start of Virgo season while Shikamaru's birthday is the end of Virgo season (September 22). Their birthdays differ by one month and one day.
- Their son's birthday, Shikadai Nara, is on September 23, a combination of Temari's birth date and Shikamaru's birth month. Shikadai's birthday also differs by one month from Temari's birthday and one day from Shikamaru's birthday.
- Shikamaru has always dreamed of being a "cloud" and Temari is the "wind" that blows away the "clouds". Temari picked him up and blew him away from Gengo when she came crashing in to save him.
- The clouds and wind references are also represented in the episode 489's title, 風雲. The definition means "State of Affairs" but the individual characters are "wind" and "clouds". The literal translation would be "clouds appearing before the wind starts to blow". This could represent that "there's trouble ahead but something/someone will chase it away" in which the troubles on Shikamaru's mind are eventually blown away by Temari.
- Shikamaru has always been associated with the color green and so is Temari. (1) Her eyes color are blue-green according to the databook but are more often depicted as green in the anime; (2) Her chakra color is green since she is a wind user; (3) She is also often depicted with green filters in various official arts. Their son, Shikadai Nara, is always associated with the color green as well and they are all given green filters in Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Ending 2.
- According to the Databooks, Temari wishes for a rematch with Shikamaru.
- According to the fourth databook, Temari sees in Shikamaru a disposition worthy of the next era’s foundation, and she decides to make a new ninja world together with him.
- In Otakon Convention, Shikamaru's English dubbed actor, Tom Gibis, and Temari's voice actress, Tara Platt, imagine how Shikamaru would propose to Temari.
- Shikamaru's Japanese VA, Morikubo Showtaro, did a proposal for Temari at a special event to promote The Last. He said “It’s troublesome but…would you enter my family register?”
- At Anime Revolution, Temari's Japanese VA, Romi Park was asked to respond to Morikubo's proposal to Temari.
- Junko Takeuchi, Naruto's Japanese VA, in one Interview said that basically everyone on the seiyuu cast saw Shikamaru and Temari getting together.
- Morikubo Showtaro tweeted his farewell to the series. In the tweet, he tells Shikamaru to get along with Temari.
- ShikaTema on Tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/shikatema
- ShikaTema on Twitter: https://twitter.com/shikatemabot
- ShikaTema Club on Deviantart: http://shikatema-club.deviantart.com/
- ShikaTema Club on Fanpop: http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/shikatema-from-the-anime-naruto
- ShikaTema Group on Deviantart: http://shikatemashrine.deviantart.com/
- ShikaTema Fanclub on Narutoforums: The Shikamaru x Temari Fanclub
- ShikaTema Hints: https://0negirlarmy.tumblr.com/shikatema